LED Handholds for New & Existing Climbing Walls
RGB LED Handholds can add some serious “pop” to your climbing wall, and they are one of easiest and best ways to upgrade your existing equipment. We’ve been designing and testing LED systems for over 2 years, and we’re very pleased to offer a package that is easy to install, robust, and attractive.
In 2008 we became the distributor for a European product called the DigiWall. It’s a 9’H traverse climbing wall / video game system that features some pretty amazing handhold grips with red LED lights and SENSORS. At IAAPA that year more than a few people were intrigued about adding this kind of grip to their existing rock wall.
At the show we began working with a client in Destin, FL, and LED handholds were at the top of their list. That project came to fruition in the summer of 2013.
In 2014 we installed LED handholds on 2 portable units, including our IAAPA display model. Needless to say, we were hooked! The LED lights in these projects made such a huge impact.
All of these previous jobs were very labor intensive requiring several hand-solder connections per grip. That meant that a typical climbing wall could take DAYS to wire! After IAAPA 2014 our Senior Operations Manager, Lance Christiansen worked tirelessly to create a package that would be easier to install. The result is a new plug-n-play system that can be easily added to any new or existing climbing wall.
Okay, here’s the part you’ve probably been waiting for – a quick rundown on the installation. Take the time to do it right, and you’ll only have to do it once!
- Remove the existing handhold grips that will be replaced with LED grips
- Attach the supplied steel template to an existing T-nut using your handhold bolt
- Using the template as a guide, drill a hole on each side of the handhold bolt. You may want to start with a smaller pilot hole depending on the thickness of your climbing surface. One hole is for the LED wires; the other is for an anti-rotation bolt molded into the back of the grip. This prevents the hold from spinning and cutting off your wiring!
- Remove the template and repeat for each LED handhold.
- Take your new LED handhold and feed the wire connection through the hole and simultaneously slip the anti-rotation bolt into the hole on the opposite side of the T-nut.
- Tighten the handhold bolt
- When all of the handhold are installed, you are ready to connect the wiring harness.
- Start at the top of your climbing wall and begin to clip the handholds into the matching clips on the wiring harness. This portion goes very quickly! The wiring harness has clips spaced every 24″. If the distance between grips exceeds that, you simply skip a clip on the harness.
- Attach your controller and power supply. Controllers come in various styles, and power supplies can be either 12v, 110v, or whatever you need!
How to Operate
The RGB LED controllers that we offer feature a color wheel that allows you to literally “dial-in” almost any color for a particular climbing route. You can also opt to run the preset programs, the best of which is a slow fade from one color to the next. Also, be sure to ask about the App that lets you control the colors from your phone! Have some fun, and experiment with your new upgrade.
Tips and Notes
- Not all of your handholds need to be LEDs to make a big impact.
- Several handhold colors are available, but they do limit the output color of the LED.
- White handholds work best for indoor centers.
Whether you are looking to upgrade your existing climbing wall, or order a new state-0f-the-art climbing system, we can help! We look forward to hearing from you.